Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Birthday My Darling Sister

I now very well know what I would have missed if you were not there in my life. I was longing for a small sister all my life and had even come to terms that I am not lucky enough to have that privilege, but then I had a dancing moment the moment I saw you, after spending thirteen years of my life alone, not having anybody to share the kind of bond that I have with you. You are not just my sister, but my daughter-cum-friend also, who gives hope to me and makes me smile at the very thought of her. My confidante, strength (weakness too). I wanted to flaunt you from the moment you came in my hands. My goodness, you were SO little. Forty days early, 1.8 Kgs, fragile and pink. Your earlobes were thin like onion peel and head circumference of a small doll. As a few days old baby, you would still have your waking up hours, stretching those tiny little arms and legs, looking inquisitively all around. Each of your milestones were celebrated with pictures and sweets. In that December-January Chandigarh near-zero-cold, you have crawled so much, running behind and away from us. Each day was a laughing riot at our home and neighborhood homes too. One of the best were your talking pre-school and early school years. Our cooked up genie stories. At 3, I must say, I was spell-bound by your imaginations and creativity.

 
You: Anna didi (Anjana, a neighbor), meri didi hai kya yaha?
Anjana: Nahi to
You: THHHAAAAAANNNNK GAAWWWDDDD! Mujhe do rupaye de do!
Anjana: Kyu?
You: Toffee

And as any other younger child in family, the different adoptive stories were told. And you were so innocent to accept each of the different versions also. As correctly said, what goes around comes around.

Sometime in early 2008.

You (on phone): Meenu, what's your blood group?
Me: B+
You: Mera pata hai kya hai?
Me: B+ hi hoga
You: O+. Papa ka bhi yehi hai.
Me: WOW. Sahi hai tu to universal donor hai. But tere ko dekh ke log bolenge, TU rehne de.
You: hmm. Tujhe pata hai mummy ka kya hai?
Me: B+
You: Nahi ji. A+. Mummmyyyyy, Meenu ko kaha se uthha ke laaye?
With each bullying, leg pulling, making each other jealous our bond has matured from good to better :). Your growing up years have been the best of my life as well. A tiny honey bunch that you are, a sport for all silly things we do and talk, small little gestures of belonging, sharing all possible feelings, laughing on anything and everything, cat fights , tantrums, property disputes including the aangan for kolams, amma-appa attention grabbing and their funny expressions and situations, fights for the sofa for best TV viewing and remote, I have fondly enjoyed all of them and deeply cherish them.

It is hard to believe that a baby who was not even the size of our arms has grown from a tantrum throwing sweetest toddler, cute child into a graceful, beautiful teenager now, who is confident, creative, fashionista, knows what she wants out of life, ambitious yet so mature and growing up to be a grounded young woman. I am so proud of you my dear. May your hard work leads to success that you deserve and I wish for contentment and peace in your heart. I love you.

7 comments:

  1. What you have worded seems to be just the tip of the ice berg. I am sure there is loads felt within your heart and soul that is yet to find words. I bet she feels it all without everything being said. This tribute, I believe makes a great gift to your darling little sister. I can already visualize her floating on "Cloud 9" having read this:). Let me join you in wishing her "A Very Happy Birthday" on this special day :). To bring in a little bit of reality into this Ocean of Emotions.... let me add ..."Make the best of what Mother Nature gave you... before Father Time takes it away :)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. an emotional note..... once again wishing you a very happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Meenu! I have no words...I know you will understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY WELL WRITTEN ODE to UR SIS... MEENU ur A GIFTED writer... GR8 work lady... Also, Ir SIS is GIFTED to HAVE u... so does Ur SON n SHIV... KEEP up the good work lady... U ROCK... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job, meenu :) :) Lakku :) Happy happy birthday!! :) god bless :)) love you!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice blog...............plz visit my blog if time permits.............http://lets-cook-something.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, this is so sweet. you almost brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete